Experience-backed proofreading service for academics, businesses, government and legal departments. We proofread conference papers, journal articles, books, essays, theses, and business documents.
This phase involves the close reading of the entire text by a language practitioner other than the editor.
Proofreading is always preceded by a thorough edit of the document - proofreading entails checking that the edited document is still correct after the design and typesetting process.
During proofreading, we:
- incorporate (only minor!) corrections by the author or interested parties
- check the accuracy and relevance of photographs and images incorporated by the designers
- scan for layout or typesetting errors
- check all titles for consistency
- check the contents page against the document body
- review numbering
- read the entire text for spelling and punctuation.
- All our service providers have post-graduate qualifications and a minimum of five years' experience.
- Service providers are sourced from members of the professional editors' body (PEG).
- If we are not able to source a suitable service provider from PEG, we follow a stringent recruitment procedure. Only highly qualified service providers are approached. They then have to provide us with a portfolio of succesfully completed projects and references to contact to verify their competence and experience. Thereafter, they are tested, and only then are they allowed to begin working on a task.
- Samples from each completed task are quality-checked by a different service provider.
- Clients are asked for feedback after work has been delivered. Any negative comments are investigated and the service provider is removed from our database if the comments are found to be valid.